What to Do When You Can't Live with Your Kids Anymore

1 November 2018
 Categories: , Blog


People rarely think about the fact that raising kids is, at a minimum, a twenty-year commitment. That does not take into account the additional twenty years per kid, nor does it take into account raising children with special needs. People who want to be parents think about how much fun it will be to have kids, and then reality sets in when they do have them. Yes, kids are fun, but they can also tax your system, wear you out, wear you down, and frequently make you crazy. When you just want to sit in a corner crying and/or sipping wine rather than break up the fight over the TV remote in the next room, it is time to consider some serious actions. Here are some things you can do that will help you regain control of your life, your home, your kids, and your mind.

Get Away

Parents can function better when they can get a break—a long break, to be precise. If you can get a grandparent, aunt, uncle, or nanny to take care of the children for at least a week, you can get some much-needed rest and relaxation. Once someone is in charge of the kids, you can jump in the car, on a bus, on a train, on a cruise ship, or on a plane and go anywhere. Most times it does not matter where you go so long as you can feel free and relaxed again. Somewhere close to the end of the week, you may begin feeling like you want to see your children or that you miss them. That is when you know that you are ready to go home.

Get a Man Cave or a She Shed

If you cannot get away for a week, get a "home away from home." This involves purchasing and constructing a man cave or a she-shed somewhere on your property. This is your "me space," your "quiet time place." When you cannot take another second in the house, make sure the kids are safe, and then go to your man cave or she shed for a bit to calm down.

Family Therapy

When things are really awful with your family, your children, or your significant other, it is time for professional help. Counseling with a family therapist can do wonders. It may take several sessions and learning new ways to cope with problems, but your children and you will feel better. Contact a family therapist office, such as The A Treatment Center, to sign up for a session.